Giving up on driving a manual

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hannah17kirby
New member - welcome them!

Giving up on driving a manual

Post by Hannah17kirby »

Ive failed my driving test multiple times now in a manual and my dring instructor has told me to give up and go in an automatic but I just can't. I keep failing on roundabouts nothing else!! Because it's at that point I find I have lots to think about and always miss my position out and I've even tried to go when something is coming! I only found out last night i have dyspraxia as my mum never bothered to tell me before, and my boyfriend now thinks I'm trying to find an excuse :/ If anyone has any advice be much appreciated!
Jim
Super poster

Re: Giving up on driving a manual

Post by Jim »

Would driving a automatic give you less to think anout at a round a bout though? Is gear, clutch, biting point etc really the root of your problem or is it simply a lack of confidence to do with traffic?

The worst thing about round a bouts is that most drivers don't really behave themselves on them. For example, their lane discipline is poor, they don't signal well, they drive too fast or fail to adequately give way to traffic from the right, i.e traffic already on the round a bout.

This aspect of driving is always going to be stressful and the biggest hurdle is accepting it for what it is. But once you realise that round a bout traffic is always going to be a bit of a headache you'll gradually get used to it.

Dysbraxia certainly doesn't help with driving, it can significantly add to the stress aspect of it. But it's not impossible either, it just sometimes takes a little extra thought and concentration. I actually passed both my theory and practical tests first time, something that both of my siblings neither of whom are dyspraxic failed to do.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Hannah17kirby
New member - welcome them!

Re: Giving up on driving a manual

Post by Hannah17kirby »

Very true I'm actually starting with a new instructor on Thursday to see what they say. Your definatly right tho about other people and the traffic on them, this might just be one of those hurdles I have to just cross over time.

Thanks for your help