Manual Licence

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kimiann
Getting settled in

Manual Licence

Post by Kimiann »

I just wanted to share some exciting news - my 25 year old son, who has had an automatic licence for 5 years, has just got his manual licence =D> I'm so proud of him, we're both dyspraxic and I know I couldn't do it, I'll drive my auto for ever!
He never gave up and it's paid off. He was so determined he bought a manual car, did it up and then had a mate drive round with him til he was ready for his test. Do I sound really impressed?? I am!!
shakey
Getting settled in

Re: Manual Licence

Post by shakey »

Fantastic news! Well done! Sounds like he really deserves it. :banana:
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

moved this topic to transport.

but well done to him for passing in a manual car, it isn't very easy. but think getting used to not having to worry about gears, and clutch control is the better way to go, then you can just concerntrate on keeping the car on the road!! but I went straight into a manual car for my driving test, and swapped cars 3 times, in the 3 months of learning to drive, the last switch was 2 weeks before my driving test, but it didn't bother me, as I had loads of experience of driving different vehicles, and different sized vehicles on private property. plus all of them were manual vehicles, and never stalled them so I must have done something right!!

automatics even for someone that has been driving for 17 years at the time (last year) are a lot easier, but I missed the clutch and gears, it was a great little experience, but not something I could drive every day, I got rid of the car as couldn't cope with it not to mention the added fuel costs. even though it was an old car, it would cost an arm and a leg to drive it on a daily basis, so I decided to get a new car to try and get out more, as a lot of my driving is 2-4 miles, so doesn't give the engine a real chance to warm up. and that was cripping my bank balance as far as the automatic was concerned.
Kimiann
Getting settled in

Post by Kimiann »

Thanks for moving the post to the right topic - I had brain elsewhere disease! I've tried a manual and did drive one when we were on a property but I couldn't get it together on the road. I drive 25km each way to work and an auto is great. Not sure how I'd go in a city!
Catwoman42
Power poster

Post by Catwoman42 »

Congratulations! I know just how hard this is (passed 4th time...)
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

I passed my driving test in a manual car after 10 attempts, but I am scared of some new roads.
Lainey
New member - welcome them!

Post by Lainey »

That is excellent news !!!! How proud you must be :D My son gave up lessons in a manual car after a really bad experience with the numpty driving instructor - very rude man !! So another self esteem battering - I am wondering whether he will find it better/easier to learn in an automatic - would appreciate any of your thoughts please, although I am wondering if the spatial awareness "thing" would prevent him from passing at all ??
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

I'm not sure whether learning in an automatic would help your son to learn to drive- when I was learning, my mum kept pressurising me to learn in an automatic only, but I knew that using the gears wasn't a big problem for me. However, many years ago my mum decided herself that she would prefer driving in an automatic, although she learned to drive in a manual- she hasn't driven a manual since (I suspect her of having dyspraxia although, as I've said elsewhere on the forum, she won't admit it). So, IMO your son may or may not benefit from learning in an automatic- it very much depends on the individual.

My really big issue learning to drive was with spatial awareness, as well as me having some issues with concentration and planning ahead. When I was learning to drive the first time (before I knew I had dyspraxia, although I'd known for years that I had problems with practical activities), I actually crashed my dad's car! My lessons then stopped, probably because of that (although my parents made the excuse that I didn't really have time to learn to drive because I had too much work to do for my A levels). In a way, I was glad to stop because the instructor I had at the time was patronising and I thought he was a bit slimy! He also persisted in talking about how quickly a girl from my form at school had learned to drive, when he knew I was struggling. I had another go at learning to drive during some time off from my university studies and, with the help of a different instructor, I passed my test (by some miracle, I managed to pass first time). The instructor I had when I learned to drive for the second time was patient and calm, and I think that made a huge difference- if your son has another go at learning to drive, I would strongly advise you to ask around to see if you can find anyone like this. It would also be a good idea to let any new instructor know about him having dyspraxia, and for you not to have any qualms about firing another instructor if he/she isn't right for your son. Once I'd passed my test, my biggest worry was to do with parking- for quite a long time after that, I would avoid parking between vehicles if at all possible because I was so worried about bumping them. I've improved at parking now, however, but it took a long time to build up my confidence.