Which form of transport do you find the best?

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

meow
Regular Poster

Which form of transport do you find the best?

Post by meow »

I was wondering who on this fourm rides a bike, and who drives a car (or both) and which one people find easier.

I'm trying to work out which one would be the best for me. I'm worried about riding a bike because of the balancing aspect, but I'm worried about driving cars because I'm not very good at judging spaces and spacial awareness. I know it's different for everyone, I just wanted peoples opnions.
ishi
Getting settled in

Re: Which form of transport do you find the best?

Post by ishi »

I cycle quite a bit, partly because i can't drive yet!

I think it really depends on where you live. For me I start work at eight, or if I'm going to uni then it's about the same time. Anyway there are very few people about and cars so it's fine if I sway all over the place.

If you live in a big city then it may not be a good idea :bike:
Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

I find the best transport is bike if you can ride it. I was lucky as a child that I grew up in an area where learning to ride was easy. I spent my childhood falling off the bike bruising my knees, elbows, etc until I mastered it (though despite of all the practice I never managed to ride without hands until I had done yoga for a while, which helped me with balance and still not too well).

Benefits:
1. With a bike you don't depend on public transport, which is a nightmare (also working timetables out - no!)
2. you exercise and build up your muscles (not only legs! arms and abs work as well!)
3. you practice your balance
5. you don't need to put fuel (h8 fuel stations)
6. it's nearly for free
7. it releases serotonine, which makes you feel better
8. it makes you feel free and independent.

Difficulties:
1. getting lost. However, if you practice your route before you have to go somewhere and stick to routes that you know, it's the fastest transport as you don't depend on traffic. Leave plenty of time for your ride if you don't know it very well, as you will get lost, but you can always ask and eventually you will find your way. Google maps street view is amazing for this as well as you can see the route exactly as it is (if you need to have been 4 times in a place to remember it like me, street view is one of them)
2. falling off the bike: often, but nothing really serious, just bruises, but hey, we're used to those, aren't we?
3. Loosing gloves, lights, fogetting you helmet somewhere, etc. Well, this one is very often. About gloves and lights (well, loose them or drop and break them), don't have a solution, I keep on having to buy new ones. About helmet, you can tie it to the bike when you park it. I must say I always forget to do this and it's my friend who normally reminds me to take my helment with me. A couple of times I've had to go back to the places where I've been looking for it. Always been lucky. I still have the same helmet. Unbelievable!

Go cycling! (as I say, depending on your physical constraints, of course)
Eva in London
Khoardiroy
New member - welcome them!

Post by Khoardiroy »

I love flying but hate sitting beside people, touching aargh.
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I'm worried about driving cars because I'm not very good at judging spaces and spacial awareness.
Yea me too - infact I don't realy want to drive and I have found other ways of getting around it.
I genralie will walk anywere - that isent too much of a issue for me, I used to cycle but havent relay now as its too much stress - it is somthing i should get back doing again though.

TBH i use public trandsport - at the minuet its ok but i dont know how it will all work when i eventuly get back into work 8-[
The real Mr Potato Head
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

A fue years ago I used to ride my bike quite a lot - for lesure and for trandsport but now I prefer to walk as i find it much more peacefull.
I would say that the first thing to do is to learn to ride a bike, use a bike for quite a while and then consider driving if you think you can manage it.

Check out this infomation from the dyspraxicia foundation on learning to ride a bike http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/s ... u_bike.php
The real Mr Potato Head