Issues Judging Depth

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Liz944
Super poster

Issues Judging Depth

Post by Liz944 »

Recently went on a driving course where they did a test to check my visual acuity and found that my field of depth was way out. Despite the fact that I have recently had my eyes twice (once for work and once on a personal level) and no issues found. I explained that I had dyspraxia and was aware of the issues I had with judging depth.

Anyone else experienced this?
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
And27
Getting settled in

Re: Issues Judging Depth

Post by And27 »

Funnily enough I have noticed that myself this weekend. I'm now learning in an Auto after 12months going nowhere in a manual (literally!!) My Instructor has coloured dot stickers on the dashboard and around the mirrors that are supposed to help with things like lining up the position of the car when parking. He has one by the tip of the right windscreen wiper to line up with the kerb when pulling over. He told me to line it up with the outside edge of the kerb stone which I thought I had, yet I was actually quite far off. Although my actual driving is ok manouvers are still tricky due to distance perception and getting my head round left and right when reversing. By the way I wear glasses for driving and reading due to astigmatism ( I think thats the word!!!!! :blush: )
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I am glad I am not the only one with problems... :) I guess although I knew about the problem it is slightly different when you see it in black and white on paper after the test. #-o
And27
Getting settled in

Post by And27 »

Did a bay park for the first time last night and it's incredible how off I am with the reference points. Something tells me auto won't be as easy as I first thought!!!! Driver
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Luckily when I passed my driving test only had to parrellel park. On the course I was on the instructor told me how to reverse park properly... not been brave enough to try it yet... but when I do it will be with plenty of space around until I am confident in what I am doing! :)
LGC2108
Regular Poster

Post by LGC2108 »

I have often had difficulty judging amounts, as it's something I can't visualise in my head.