Motorcycles

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jackyboy86
Getting settled in

Motorcycles

Post by Jackyboy86 »

There seem to be a lot of topics on learning to drive cars, but none on motorbikes!
I'm a total two wheel buff - love them to bits.
When I was learning to drive a car, I could never put my left hand and get the handbrake/gearstick.
Despite having quite muscley legs (the only part of me with ANY muscle) I can't keep biting point in a car.

I found riding a bike much easier. Gear changes are left foot (up or down - no gate!), you have to come off the throttle to use the brake (both are right hand) and left hand does clutch. I found that having gears all in one area (left side) and speed all in another area (right hand) makes it a lot easier to co-ordinate.
Plus, there's something to be said for the perfection of a knee, sliding against the road, as man & machine, as one, gentle tap the apex of the curve at ohhhhhhhhhsssssssssssshhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiit miles an hour :D

I think riding is the only physical thing that requires co-ordination that i'm good at.
Anyone else ride a bike?
Ldyalb
Regular Poster

Re: Motorcycles

Post by Ldyalb »

LOL I can't even manage a push bike. I am in awe of you!

My Mum used to ride a bike, as did one of her sisters. My boyfriend was horrified to hear I'd been on a motorbike ride (was 13, it was totally awesome) as he promised his Nanna he'd never ever get on a motorbike as a little boy. I think if I was able to ride a bike he and his family would probably not let me. Not that I could anyway, my balance is shocking :( I wish I could though!
Dyspraxia - Dx Jan 2010, borderline ASD as well plus strong Dyscalculia overlap.

Fibromyalgia - Dx Jan 2011.
Hypermobility - Dx April 2011
Willis-Ekbom Disease - Dx November 2011

I also have Eczema, Rosacea and Trichitollomania. Oh joy :)
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I have to many friends and family either injured or killed on motorbikes so won't go near one... Think both myself and the motorbike would end up in peices if I tried... :(
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

I want a motorbike. The olther half has been riding them since he was a young boy and tells me I am not allowed one as they are too dangerous for me. He reckons I wouldn't be able to cope as there are too many things to co-ordinate at once.

I'll show him this thread, perhaps I can persuade him that me getting a bike is good thing ;)
Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

Jackyboy86 wrote:There seem to be a lot of topics on learning to drive cars, but none on motorbikes!
I'm a total two wheel buff - love them to bits.
When I was learning to drive a car, I could never put my left hand and get the handbrake/gearstick.
Despite having quite muscley legs (the only part of me with ANY muscle) I can't keep biting point in a car.

I found riding a bike much easier. Gear changes are left foot (up or down - no gate!), you have to come off the throttle to use the brake (both are right hand) and left hand does clutch. I found that having gears all in one area (left side) and speed all in another area (right hand) makes it a lot easier to co-ordinate.
Plus, there's something to be said for the perfection of a knee, sliding against the road, as man & machine, as one, gentle tap the apex of the curve at ohhhhhhhhhsssssssssssshhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiit miles an hour :D

I think riding is the only physical thing that requires co-ordination that i'm good at.
Anyone else ride a bike?
I used to work in a Vespa type bike. Only 1 accident in 6 months (not bad for how bad I was at driving it).That has been how far I've gone with bikes, but I understand what you mean. I'd feel the same if I was good enough to drive like that. :bike:
Eva in London
Jackyboy86
Getting settled in

Post by Jackyboy86 »

I have had a few accidents, but I also have full armour kits.
I adknowledge that if i'm going to ride 10000 miles a year (which I usually do - the nationwide average is 3000) in all weathers including snow, i'm going to need proper kit and a detirmination to succeed.
125's were lethal to me, my balance is shocking too, and they're too light.
Bearing in mind my muscle tone is terrible, i only weight 9 and a bit stone (at 6 foot tall) so on the back of a 10 year old sports 600, there was very little i could do to unbalance it.
Balance ceased to become an issue, but then along came throttle discipline and threw a spanner in the works.
Having to learn that the tinest twitch in the right hand can wheelie the thing was tough.

My best advice - learn, spend a lot of time learning - with training. Explain to your instructor. They won't understand - but persevere. Keep at it, and do your test.
CBT is useless - don't get on a bike with just a CBT. DO THE TEST.
It's worth it!
jackwabbit
Getting settled in

Post by jackwabbit »

My son was riding a motorcycle up until he broke his ankle last year (no it wasn’t a biking accident he slipped on wet grass) he has always said he can’t drive a car because of it’s size & having to do to many things at the same time. I have taken him out in the wife’s fiesta & he was ok but did misjudge some corners (mainly going out to wide) but when he drove my old Carlton automatic I couldn’t find any fault at all. I’m sure with perseverance (which he doesn’t have much of) he could master a car with gears, after all when he started to ride bikes he would only go for a twist & go scooter but after I booked him into a course on a bike with gears, he passed his test first time & was soon riding 650cc bikes.
brian
Getting settled in

Post by brian »

I think I will give Motor bikes a go because If I don't get the course I want in college than I will do another and go into the Irish Police and I think I would want to be a motorbike police man.
Iame
Getting settled in

Post by Iame »

I love bikes. They are so much easier to ride and I have crashed into a wall once on a GS 500, or a Suzuki for those who don't know. Three days before my test, horrible weather, out checking out the area we would be doing the test in which I didn't know. Come down a steep hill and couldnt help staring at the wall I was getting closer to lol. It's called 'target fixation' anyway I flew up the kerb and into it diagonally. The break pedal ripped a hole in my leg despite not ripping the three layers I had on too lol. Took forever for my leg to heal but it didn't put me off.

Fast forward to two years ago, saved some money, booked in for a direct access again. The first day I was due to go, got up and whatnot n got on the back of my gf's Bros and we started out. Not even a minute after we set off round the corner bang! Right into the back of a parked car. I remember seeing it coming and not being on the bike and seeing sky. Seven metres clearing the car later I'm half in the road n half on the kerb.

For some reason I can't remember it all but I know the ambulance staff said they needed to cut me braces to me bike pants so they could have alook and check I had no major cuts etc. They strapped me to a board n carted me off to hosp. Had a few x rays n some pain relief and hurt all over. Bit through part of my Tongue which nowt could be done about and hurt something in my groin which I needed crutches coz I couldn't lift or move my right leg. Other than that no breaks amazingly lol.

Guess what? Still didn't put me off lmao. Got a lil SR 125 when I got a bit of money n did my CBT n used that for a while. But 125's are so much harder to ride, so got rid. Started getting vertigo for fifteen hours at a time with constant liking n found out I have Menieres Disease which is an inner ear thing so not been able to ride or even learn to drive because of the ear issues.

But once it's settled down n sorted out I shoul hope I'll be back on two wheels at least then I just gotta actually do a proper test n not keep doing CBTs now lol.
Iame
Getting settled in

Post by Iame »

I did actually try a few times recently when I have felt ok, to drive a car. My Step Dads car and I get flustered and he tells me to turn one way n I never know which side to go coz I can never remember left and right. Makes me angry with myself but if anyone else has problems with cars like me then maybe you could try a bike. If you have a decent instructor they will be patient and not tell you off either if you get the wrong exit on a roundabout like I did lol. So long as you signal and move safely and properly if you do come off too early then your instructor should be ok. :)
andyyblake
New member - welcome them!

Post by andyyblake »

Motorcycles is the fastest increasing vehicle now a days because generally it is prefer by young generation and due to this it is rising in number very fast than any other vehicle.
phoena
Getting settled in

Post by phoena »

Yes motorcycle is increasing so fast now a days because its a kind of transportation that gets out in the traffic so easily.
smoleniuch

Post by smoleniuch »

phoena wrote:Yes motorcycle is increasing so fast now a days because its a kind of transportation that gets out in the traffic so easily.

Motorcycle is cheaper than car and more economical :bumps:

Last edited by smoleniuch on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonar

Post by sonar »

I'm also a bike nut, its the one time i feel fully in control. I ride on a CBT but soon as i can afford im doing the full test. its one corner of my life where i can give dyspraxia the finger
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I have ridden a couple of mopeds with my car licence, while they were fun, they weren't very safe feeling, especially when you really feel like you are being pushed along by the back wheel. normal push bikes I could handle, as it felt like you were in control by using the peddles to control your speed, but to be sat on a moped, and my feet keeping still was to awkward for me. so stick to cars, vans, trucks, and push bikes where possible.