Without wheels

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Daniel
Administrator

Without wheels

Post by Daniel »

How do those of you here who don't drive manage with day to day getting about?

One thing I like about London and while was a real pain in the backside when I was living with my parents in the sticks is that from Wimbledon there are any number of trains, tubes, trams and buses. In my home town there's perhaps an hourly bus to the nearest city and a bi-hourly bus to the nearest large town. I did, with a bit of arranging, manage to use the latter infrequent service to go to a job in that town, but it could be a pain, and ruled out going out with work colleagues after hours.

London actually has a relatively low rate of car ownership due in part to an largely extensive public transport network and also due to rather busy roads and congestion charges meaning you'd have to be either desperate, rich, crazy, or perhaps a mixture of all three to drive in central London at least, and even then the more outlying parts aren't always much more attractive for car ownership.

However outside of London it seems to be a largely different story, and not driving can in a number of cases be a real hindrance. I rather fancied working in the aviation field for a while but found that this avenue was near impossible without having a car as hours are irregular and business locations are normally on some impossibly inaccessible airport perimeter road (inaccessible for pedestrians at any rate).

Shortly I also have to look into moving all my clobber back to my parents' place when I go travelling. This in itself is a bit of challenge as it will either require a few train trips, and, as nice and tilty as Mr Branson's new trains are, they're not over-endowed with luggage space, or I'll have to look at it getting taken up as a part load with a removals or courier company.

What sort of experiences do you have being without a car?
fuzzy
Power poster

Post by fuzzy »

I live in a town 15miles out of Aberdeen, where I go toi uni, so I walk oti the train staion (hike, more like, up a massive feckin hill), get a 20minute train into the city centre, and a bus to uni. Its a bit of a pain commuting; sometimes like today I get fed up with it because it is both time consuming and expensive to get many train journeys in the one day, so sometimes it involves hanging around for hours on campus for my next lecture/ meeting. Howver, I think it is worthwile beacsue I would rather live beside the sea with a veiw of the coast in a brillinatly historical town than in 'Granite City'. I'll prob take up driving lessons again when im older, as driving is usefull and its hard (or at least can be awkard sometimes) to get a job or live in the country (like I want to do when Im older I think) without it. Pedestarins, watch out!! LOL!!!

Dan- dont write yopurself off as beoing unabel to drive: youll be able to learn, itll just be harder to do
Tortoise
Getting settled in

Post by Tortoise »

Hey Daniel! Hey fuzzpooh!

This is such a good issue to bring up. I’ve found that being able to get around independently has been a huge hurdle for me and something that others my age don’t think twice about. It’s so important for young adults to be able to get about on their own!

Being able to drive for me has not meant total independence. There are some set places that I can drive to and feel confident about (e.g., local shops). Obviously being able to drive to the local shops is quite inane when you’re friends want to go out somewhere nice on a sat nite! There are days and times when I’m tired and my parents prefer me not to be driving as well (and naturally I always disagree… but I know they’re right!).

So driving for me hasn’t equalled total independence or total convenience. It’s only recently that I’ve been able to be a bit more adventurous. To avoid my parents dropping me and picking me up from parties and places (I am an adult after all!), sometimes I get someone to hop in the car and help me to practice driving the route!! So when I have to do it myself, I CAN. OR sometimes I’ve gone to a friends place and got them to drive!

Public transport for me until recently has been a bit difficult too. It’s hard to use trains and busses when you find balancing hard to achieve when something is moving!!! It is also tricky when other older people expect you to give up your seat! I’m often pooped by the end of the journey. But lately I’ve been coping better with this. I don’t live in a city that is as busy as London (and I live in suburbia) so driving is quite a common thing. BUT there is no way I would be driving into the heart of the city!!!!

In general I also get lost a lot!!! – but my friends love this, they think it’s a party trick or something \:D/
I must admit that sometimes I have not gone out with friends because I didn’t know how to get there myself and I didn’t want my parents dropping me. In hindsight this is an incredibly stupid solution!! Luckily I have friends who thrive on my quirks… the more I stuff up, the more they love it!

So I hope you enjoyed my rant about nothing much really. Good luck with your clobber
8-[
Danni
Getting settled in

Post by Danni »

I live in a village about 10 miles from Gateshead and Newcastle. It also has very little in the way of public transport, especially if you don't want to go to the MetroCentre or Newcastle. As I live up a very steep hill and miles away from anywhere, walking to most places is also out of the question. The nearest train stations are the MetroCentre (about 6-7 miles away) and Newcastle Central. Luckily, going to college isn't a problem as the college provide a free bus service that serves my village, but if I'm going shopping I have to rely on my father-in-law, as he drives us. My partner is learning how to drive, so hopefully he'll be able to take me places, but until then, I get the bus.

I also have the problem of old people expecting me to give up my seat (even when I was 7 months pregnant!), as not only do I find it hard to balance standing up, but standing for more than a couple of minutes makes me very dizzy and if I don't sit down, I faint. I've had to sit on the floor on the bus a few times, making the other passengers angry.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Fuzz - I'm not writing off my potential ability to drive. I might be able to, but I've little desire to learn while I'm in the big smoke, and it would be a big hill to climb again, but I suspect I will try again at some point, and I doubt I'll be as nervous as when I was learning at 18. I have doubts about my ability to take in everything that's going on around me (crossing the road with traffic coming from 2 directions can be tricky enough) but one can but try.

Speaking of hills, that does seem to be a common thread between us. My hometown is dead hilly and even Wimbers is on a flaming hill! At least it keeps us fit, eh?

On the topic of independence, I think it would have helped me a lot while I was living with my parents, and I might have ended up doing more interesting work than I otherwise ended up doing. Travelling PC repairman for the valley was a possibility my Dad kept trying to encourage upon me, but without wheels it was next to impossible.

Tortoise, I've shared your experiences with balance and standing on public transport. Although I always reserve seats when I'm going home to see my parents, walking from the buffet car with a drink on a tilting train can really test the balance! I have a problem that my feet hurt if I'm standing about for any length of time. I can walk as far as you want, but stand and it's quickly uncomfortable, and yes Danni, there's the issue of giving up your seat to older people, but I do wonder if they would incur the safe discomfort as I would do. In any case in London chivalry is nearer extinction than in other parts of the country, so it's less of an issue.
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

My own experience of London, is that it isn't practicle to drive around central London, public transport would be easier.
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

I've got all stroppy now and I wont get up until the bus has actually stopped. I started to do this when my eldest was a baby because I was worried about hurting her.

It's SO much easier. I've rung the bell now stop for me. They always do.
arthmelow
Regular Poster

Post by arthmelow »

david456 wrote:My own experience of London, is that it isn't practicle to drive around central London, public transport would be easier.
Up to about the north circular, I would say that's about right. However
public transport is not plain sailing... the bus drivers are very aggressive
with their brake and accelerator and most normal people seem to just jolt slightly when this happens, but I'll lose my grip and get thrown round the bus, usually annoying someone or hurting someone in the process!

Both my grandfather and father have had stints as a cab driver in central
london so they both know the intracacies of the somewhat bizzare one way system.

When I have to visit my mum's by car, it actually works really well. I can never remember the directions my mum gives ( via Holland Park ) because we always do them in the dark, but I can come off the A40 and thanks to my visual memory of the bus route I can give directions to my mums!

The tube isn't so bad but somewhat expensive unless I'm travelling into
London that day and I get the tube fare on the train ticket. Plus there are some routes that are impossible to do by tube - I used to have to travel between Ladbroke Grove and Central Acton and the only sensible option
is a bus.
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

I know what you mean about being thrown around buses, arthmelow. Often I have to stand on buses and Ihate it.

I am a bit nervous of trains, especially since a train I was on ran over a man.

Yesterday I was on a train and got caught in a door between two carriages and screamed until someone opened the door :*(

I also managed to leave a library book on the train in my rush :(

Daniel, it seems like you have no need of learning to drive at the moment. It would be better to learn when you really need to, otherwesie you will forget what you have learned inthe meantime.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I'm not keen on the bumpy, jostling ride of buses to be honest, and I do prefer the smooth ride of trains, as well as the clarity of knowing where you are with big station name signs.

Louise, was the train door you got stuck in one of those daft new ones that close on you? I've never quite understood the design of those. In contrast, I remember the old Virgin trains where the carriage doors would never even close properly if the train was on a camber! I'm sorry the experience distressed you.

I do share your anxiety about getting stuck in such places. I think I have a subconscious fear of plane and train toilets, although I wonder if this is part due to the less then hygenic conditions of many and my obsession with having to have clean hands. I was once on a ten hour flight to Vancouver where I had to "cross my legs and think of England!"
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

I hate hate hate plane and train toilets- my worst fear is being locked in them and the lights goign out especially. I hate that bit between carriages aas well- that concertinaish bit, I was once trapped in there when the doors on either side closed.

When the train run overthat man it at first felt like being derailed, it was terrifying, then we were told what had happened and it was horrible to know what had happend to that man. ever since I've been afraid of level crossings.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

It must have been an awful experience. I've been delayed by 'passenger action' on the London Underground often enough, but it must be completely different to be on the train, and worse still for the poor driver.
fuzzy
Power poster

Post by fuzzy »

Now that im back in the Deen, as its affectionatley known *snorts* i could just walk everywhere, but am too lazy to do so, if im hoinest, lol.... I live in Hilton, which is quite far out from uni and the city centre- i walked home from town the other night and it took me 50 minutes!!! So instead, i have a buss pass, half-walking bussing it to uni (no bus will take me directly there) and always bussing it into town!! For a rich city, public transport here is pretty bad, the last buses at night being at 11:10 Monday to Friday and 11:30 on a Saturday. Otherwise its walking or taxi!! There are night buses, but they conveniently dont go in my direction! Oh well, it jkeeps me fit i guess.... Like in Stonehaven, I still live up a MASSIVE hill!! But hey, at least im not surrounded by crazy students- its a nice relitiavely non student area :D
Goodbye, and have a pleasant tommorrow!!
I swear to drunk im not God.....
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

My Dad used to make me go hillwalking while I was a child, I hated every minute of it. The upside however is that I set a very demanding walking pace and can walk for hours without tiring. Living in a city I find that I can get anywhere that I want to go without resorting to driving or public transport. Less than 5 miles or so is no bother. I really strongly disliked buses though, the stops aren't well signposted and I frequently miss the one I'm going for.

Trains are alright I guess. If you're into that kinda thing.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

My upbringing involved many a walk around the Lakes and Dales, Greg, and I find largely the same thing!

I also entirely agree with you on buses, I find them a pain unless you know the city you're in because, as you say, signposting is minimal, and the less said about finding your way at night the better. In some countries they have LCD displays or even verbal announcements of stops which is fantastic (if a touch annoying if the stops are frequent and the babble near non-stop). I never understood why this wasn't employed in London at the very least where there's masses of tourists milling around without a clue as to where they're going. The route maps on bus stops are decent, fortunately, but in most other parts of the country it's just a list of places and times, so you have to assume the bus is on time and keep bothering the driver (assuming you can get anywhere near him depending on the popularity of the bus) to make sure you get off at the right place. Grrr.

Good luck to visitors to the area around home town where the buses alternate between going down one side of the valley and the other, while some cross over half-way down if they're feeling in the mood!

For all these reasons any transport with well announced stops - typically trains and trams - gets the thumbs up from me.