Without wheels

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

robyn

Post by robyn »

aberdeen bus services are apaulingly bad, and allways late and crowded, and the bus drivers are often bad mannered. I had one of our the kids from my works out once and the bus driver (who had a strong accent) was yelling at us cause we had a family day ticket and, as I discovered later when I grasped what he was saying, he didnt believe this kid was under 16, the kid was getting so wound up I was sure he was going to hit the driver, it was quite a shame when he didnt.

I dont live up a hill but my horses stabels is 10 mins walk up a hill from my house so plenty of exercise for me.
fuzzy
Power poster

Post by fuzzy »

Hold on- YOU LIVE IN ABERDEEN?! NO WAY!!!! Me too (obviously). How did i not notice this before??!! How ace :D Are you still at uni- if so, which one? Im at Aberdeen (if at abdn, you checked out the Hub yet? Supposed to be good) YAY!!!!!! \:D/
Goodbye, and have a pleasant tommorrow!!
I swear to drunk im not God.....
robyn

Post by robyn »

I was at uni, but I got too bored, I found the english depatment stuck up and irrelevant. Im from edinburgh originally, grew up in the borders til I moved to inverness when I was 15, then here for uni. But I live with my boyf here, I moved my horse here and I have a job I love (some days) so Im staying put for the present.
fuzzy
Power poster

Post by fuzzy »

No way, im from Edinburgh too!! Weird, lol..... Morningside, you? WHAT SCHOOL DID YOU GO TO??????!!!! (St Tams. 'mon the Catholics!) My friend does English and thinks that the department is rubbish too, AND they stole Cultural History from the history department!!! Down with them, lol! do you look after disabled folk then? I ask coz my flatmate and friend both do that, but for differing companies.... you dont have to say if you dont want to, btw, as i know that some folk enjoy the annoyminity (?) of the forum- im just being over inquistive as usual :D
Goodbye, and have a pleasant tommorrow!!
I swear to drunk im not God.....
robyn

Post by robyn »

I grew up in the borders so never went to school in edinburgh, I was born there and spent time living with my aunt (who was in trinity at the time) before going home with my mum. one of my pals who went to uni here lives in morning side now! I work at a residential school that takes in teenagers in care with behavioural and educational difficulties, not disabilities, although some have dyslexia etc as well.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Well since we're meandering gloriously off topic does that mean you were brought up with the glories of Border Television? No budget graphics, the birthdays cupboard, and lest we forget Border Heritage - the slot that Granada would presumably fill with some regional programme which Border shows footage of delightful Lakeland and borders towns and countryside with some delightful accompanying classical music! Largely lost these days to the ubiquitous networkisation, but oh fond memories! :P

Sorry, where were we?
robyn

Post by robyn »

i never sat still for long enough to watch telly so cant answer that one
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

haha, that's definitely to your benefit
GiantHam
Getting settled in

Post by GiantHam »

You guys are lucky, at least you have a public transportation system. I live in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania USA. In theory we have a public transportation, but I have better chance of catching a Leprechaun then a bus. I rely completely on my two friends and my parents.
gomababe
Regular Poster

Post by gomababe »

I have no real desire to learn how to drive really, but I know I'll have to at some point but it's going to be difficult with little to no depth perceptive ability. I'm very much a believer that the government is going to have to up the stakes on the public transportation system in commuter towns like mine to stop people from driving to work in order to cut down carbon emissions {though I say they should just close down half of BP Grangemouth and be done with it}. Thankfully I still live at home with my parents and I can get around town by walking since the town is roughly three miles wide at most, but is very hilly, which is a right pain for me since I tire pretty easily {but I guess it keeps me fit}. My only complaint is that the prices for the local buses are ridiculously high and to get to the nearest big town costs about £5.00 for an all day pass {apparently the council doesn't believe in such things as commuting students even with the largest college in the Forth Valley righ on their dooorstep}.
robyn

Post by robyn »

yeah prices are another problem, it costs me £70 a month just to get to work and back, if I ever get up enough guts to try and learn how to drive Im going to be bankrupt trying to pay for lessons ontop of that, never mind saving for a car......
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

I'm really lucky in one sense, cause even tho I know I will never be able to drive (grrrr) public transport round here is much cheaper than anywhere else I have visited. Its subsidised and my local area bus pass costs me about 35 quid a month. Move round here people!!
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D

Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

hi dan, well finally got around to one of your posts, as not much left to put answers to!!!

it has been a lot harder here in wales, the bus drivers have changed routes, so instead of 1 every 30 mins to my parent's place, then you ar lucky for 1 an hour,

the nearest bus stop is 15 minute fast pace, and when you think well it is only 30 mins fast pace from there, is it really worth waiting for a bus that will be 19 mins!!

so what I usually do is when I know my mother is about to finish work is take the 11 mins to walk there at fast pace.

with the balance problem then it does mean I got to slow down in area, but my father has always taught us to either keep up, or get left miles behind, as he didn't like shopping (apart from sundays!! I think that was so my mother couldn't spend any money though!!).

as a grand dad decided to write my car off, with his parallel park on the opposite side of the road. even though I could have parked a 35 foot wagon in the gap! which I done my driving test the week before, so I knew I could have done it in less space, as it is part of the driving test before you get to take the wagon on the road!

hope you like reading my posts dan, possible be more tomorrow, as for me I am going to finish my beer, then off to bed tonight/morning!!!