driving

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Alex
Power poster

driving

Post by Alex »

Automatic cars take the pressure right off you iam learning to drive at the moment and have been for over a year and sometimes it can be very hard for me sometimes i hit the pavement without meaning to and just to use 1 foot when touching pedels pkus the distence between me and aanother vehicle i cant work out how much space there is anyone else have simular problems?
Shadwell

Re: driving

Post by Shadwell »

Hi Alex. sorry in delay to this I know I am nearly a year out of date!!

I did have this problem while learning to drive, but mainly when traffic was stopped, or stationary object like a wall, or something. as back in the days when I was learning, there weren't any speed cameras, and everybody used to do 45 in a 30 zone, so there wasn't much chance on catching anything up.

the best way I learned, is for example a 60 mph - 30 mph speed limit, about 3 - 3.5 lamposts before the 30 sign, start slowing down by braking nearly to the point that you can feel the pressure with the back of your leg forcing the pedal, or if abs, then to the point you can feel the car slow down about 3 mph per 10 feet or something, and then releasing the brake pedal slightly to make a smooth decrease in speed. by the time you reach the 2nd lampost then you got a good idea of if you are slowing enough, as you want to aim for about 45 mph, and the last lampost being about 30, or just before.

same with traffic, if it is a 30 zone, and the traffic is stationary at the 3rd lampost, and you get to the 3rd lampost, better aiming for 4 lamposts between you, and the traffic though, so that you are just rolling speed when you get to them.

as far as I am aware then there isn't a maximum distance from something that you start slowing down, as long as you aren't stopped too far away, but rolling up to traffic, and stopping sensibly and not sharply, then the instructor can give some advice.

while I mention speed above, the only times you want to check your speed is to make sure you aren't speeding, but it is only a quick glance, so knowing where the specific speed is on the speedo, and checking it as you go through things like a 30 mph speed limit.

but keeping to this rule, and if following traffic, leave enough gap that you can see the brake lights of a car, at least 3 cars infront, and brake the same time as it. but watching mainly the car infront of you for sudden braking or something. that way you can avoid most accidents.

the other thing to do, is think of it as a sunday drive, you want to go from a-b but don't care how long it takes, but observing the speed limits, and other traffic, because if you are relaxed, then it will show in your driving, and it is that the examiners look for more than how long it has taken, they want a smoot, and comfortable ride, rather than you feeling like you got to get there yesterday, and the risk of being in an accident increases.

as in drving with traffic, then as long as you aren't more than about 3 lamposts behind the car infront of you, then should be fine for seeing what is going on around you, I say 3 lamposts as in the car passing the 4th lampost, and you just about to pass the first, so like 200 feet. as each lampost is 50 feet apart in a 30 mph built up area.

but you need to be a minimum of 1 and a half lamposts or more anyway, as that is your stopping distance you never count the distance it takes the car infront of you to stop, as he might have plowed into the car infront of him at 25 - 30 mph. not too common, but it can happen.

when you feel relaxed, probably not while learning to drive, as it is tough going, but a useful tip is to look as far ahead as possible, as it will give you more advanced warning of any accidents, and anything that will cause you to stop like at juctions etc. so decreasing your speed earlier, and planning to stop at the junction, as a few junctions will allow you to see a lot clearly to take 2 or 3 looks, before getting to them.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

the best way to be, is slow down as much as you can to start off with, and then let the instructor teach you, after all that is what he is paid for.

but unlike some of my posts that Daniel pointed out to me, is make sure you feel in control of the car, not the other way around, it is only time and practice, but if you pratice braking earlier, then you can learn how far away you need to be before braking, instead of making the instructor jump out of his skin, and hit the dual controls.

and then practice braking that little bit later. the instructor should have a good idea of taking you somewhere with little or no traffic where you can practice stopping, and pulling off safely. if you explain that you don't feel comfortable in traffic. and that you aren't sure about stopping, and stopping distances.

and book you a lesson that both suits you, and any times that area will be busy like rush hour out of factory's etc.
Alex
Power poster

Post by Alex »

Mike

thanks for the reply i have recently found an extensive 5 day driving course up in Norich so iam hoping to go with them i read on the site that they are specalists with dyspraxics so iam hoping to go with them fingers crossed
jilla
New member - welcome them!

Post by jilla »

driving i think is maybe the biggest area where i notice my dyspraxia .. it took me about 7 or 8 tests to pass my driving test i think .. and then i only really just scraped by with 14 minors when the limit was 15

i havnt done a reverse park since the day i passed my test i dont think .. i still get terribly disorientated when reversing and try to avoid it if i can .. never reversing into parking spaces always finding a drive through one whenever possible in car parks ..

i also find judging speed and distance at junctions can be a problem sometimes and make it a golden rule that i only pull out if im sure its safe .. even if that means waiting longer than normal and the driver behind getting impatient .. slip roads on motorways /dual carriage ways are also something i avoid too .. because of difficulty judging when its safe to pull out

also the bit folks without dyspraxia dont get and that you cant explain .. is not being able to cope with processing a lot of information quickly .. like turning right at multi laned roundabouts where youve got to go from the inside lane to the outside lane .. or roundabouts where they stick traffic lights on too .. or any driving in busy town centers especially where you have loads of lanes and have to get in the right lane ..

there are times when i think well should i maybe be driving at all .. but for the last 11 years ive worked as a respite carer out in the local community .. and drive about 200 miles each week ... the reason i think i am safe and the advice id give to any dyspraxic is KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS .. ACCEPT THEM .. AND AVOID ANYTHING YOU DONT FEEL TOTALLY SAFE DOING WHENEVER POSSIBLE .. i always go the long way round the town i often work in to avoid the big roundabouts on the dual carriageway and driving in the town center .. i never use slip roads .. i never drive in town centres .. i never do long journeys that might mean having to drive in situations im not happy with .. so many things to cope with driving and having dyspraxia ..

and yeh my next biog worry .. if youve read my introduction youll see i have a son with dyspraxia whose just turned 17 .. and yep im dreading when he starts to drive .. you know what theyre like at that age .. they think they can take on the world .. im just hoping once he starts to actually learn he will then realize that its not as easy as you think and that dyspraxia does in fact make it even a whole lot more tricky than for someone without it ...... anyway hes never any money to pay for lessons at the moment .. soo thats one good thing .... but i am dreading the day he has
Alex
Power poster

Post by Alex »

I PASSED MY DRIVING TEST ON SATURDAY 4TH TIME LUCKY ONLY GOT 4 MINNORS!!!!!
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

congrats Alex, hope your first few days have been great.
Alex
Power poster

Post by Alex »

Yes been very good but very strange with no one tellingvme where to go
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

yeah, takes a while think it taken a month for me to get used to not being told which direction to turn...now I got a sat nav, and she has a headache by the time we get to our destination!! but that is me winding her up!! but still take routes I prefere to drive, as I know junctions are easier to pull out of. or to miss passing a school. so it is always recalculating!!but most of my town driving I don't bother using the sat nav. it is mainly whendriving somewhere new that I use it. as daily use then it is just annoying.
Kenrik

Post by Kenrik »

Whenever it rains, drivers ought to slow down & increase their following distance. If every driver followed this easy recommendation, countless accidents could be avoided every year
Steven

Post by Steven »

I aswell acquisition anticipation acceleration and ambit of junctions can be problems sometimes accomplish it a aureate aphorism that I alone cull out if its safe IM definite. even if it agency cat-and-mouse best than accustomed and the disciplinarian abaft accepting impatient.
phoena
Getting settled in

Post by phoena »

Automatic cars can make learning to drive easier, but if you take your driving test in an automatic car your driving licence won't entitle you to drive a manual one. Passing the test in a manual also entitles you to drive an automatic.