Trouble Feeling the Pedals?

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Icarus
Getting settled in

Trouble Feeling the Pedals?

Post by Icarus »

I've just recently started driving home from school with my permit and I've found that I have a very difficult time feeling the pedals with shoes on. My mum won't let me take them off though.

Also, She won't let me use one foot for the gas and one for the break which I would feel much more comfortable doing; anyone else have these problems?
''Look at these people, these human beings. Consider their potential! From the day they arrive on the planet, blinking, step into the sun, there is more to see than can ever be seen, more to do than- no, hold on. Sorry, that's The Lion King''
-Doctor Who
Daniel
Administrator

Re: Trouble Feeling the Pedals?

Post by Daniel »

I've found this with the pedals. What sort of shoes do you wear? You'll fine it's easier with traditionally soled shoes as trainers these days do tend to have some time of suspension built in.
Icarus
Getting settled in

Post by Icarus »

Daniel wrote:I've found this with the pedals. What sort of shoes do you wear? You'll fine it's easier with traditionally soled shoes as trainers these days do tend to have some time of suspension built in.
I wear Crocs, my feet are shaped funny (very wide at the toe) and I don't fit in much else.
''Look at these people, these human beings. Consider their potential! From the day they arrive on the planet, blinking, step into the sun, there is more to see than can ever be seen, more to do than- no, hold on. Sorry, that's The Lion King''
-Doctor Who
lunalovegood
Getting settled in

Post by lunalovegood »

I have this problem to and sometimes I do drive barefoot (praying that the coppers won't catch me). I found that if I must wear shoes while driving, I do best in flip flops, because they are thin and there's not such a dramatic separation between my foot and the pedal. Good luck with your driving!
southernbelle
New member - welcome them!

Post by southernbelle »

when i drive i always wear thin soled shoes to help me feel the pedals
majinjoebob
New member - welcome them!

Post by majinjoebob »

I had no idea this was related to my dyspraxia, yes, I have the same problem,
I used to drive barefoot taking off my right shoe, but then my girlfriend turned me onto converses (I'm in New York, do they have converse in the UK?) they have a thin, soft, rubbery sole not as good as being barefoot but I certainly was able to feel the peddles somewhat, and I got so used to it I was just fine,

the only draw back to converse is that I cant perma-tie the laces to just slip them on and off, so It takes a a few to lace them up,
WTCCFan
Regular Poster

Post by WTCCFan »

I have drove in trainers with a good tread and I have felt a whole load of issues. I too found general contol and sensitivity of the pedals hard but I think it is almost as if the tread creates resistance. It is as if the tread sticks the trainers to the pedals.

I wear trainers but they have no tread and I experience none of the issues mentioned above.
Lady Fluff
Power poster

Post by Lady Fluff »

I always wore the same pair of shoes for 9 of the 12 lessons I had before I gave up - Doc Martens - they were the only things that would get my feet to stay on the pedals - everything else just led to my feet to suddenly 'ping' off at random moments - I think my instructor was glad when I gave up - he always looked nervous around me!
"I will not be bound by what they tell me I can be; I will not stay silent, I will speak my liberty" (Kendall Payne)
Catwoman42
Power poster

Post by Catwoman42 »

Yep, thin soled shoes, glad to know it's not just me!