Minor Changes to Forum Layout

News, information, rules and FAQs about the forum will be posted here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pooky
Administrator

Minor Changes to Forum Layout

Post by Pooky »

I have made most parts of the forum visible to registered users only with the acception of Announcements and Introduction Section.

The forum has been hammered lately by google sending the web hosting sky high, I have requested google crawl the forum less but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. Hence it should resolve the issue by making portions of the forum visible to registered users only.

Most of you won't notice any difference. Any problems then let me know.
SavV
Regular Poster

Post by SavV »

Just thought I'd point out the option of dropping a robots.txt file into the sites main directory on the server. robots.txt can direct where webspiders/robots from search engines go to on the site, where they can and cannot look etc.

Details can be found here (with how to links):
http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/exclusion.html

Cheers,
SavV
Hang on..... this isn't my classroom...
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

I was wondering if yiu would consider changing the background coluor of the form, because I find it hard to read the information on the forum.
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

SavV wrote:Just thought I'd point out the option of dropping a robots.txt file into the sites main directory on the server. robots.txt can direct where webspiders/robots from search engines go to on the site, where they can and cannot look etc.

Details can be found here (with how to links):
http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/exclusion.html

Cheers,
SavV
Hi Sav,

Thanks for that. I know about the robots file, but I was just being lazy with the easy option. :blush:
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

Hi Creative,

there is another way, it does loose some of the funky designes of the web-site, but I have tested, and it works, as read a message about it on the forum somewhere,

and just managed to find it, as Liz944 posted it on http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/viewt ... ht=colours

as for searching, like finding Liz's post wasn't easy, I had to try remembering if it was a chat, before or after I joined the site! and then trying to find a secific word to go by, which in the end was the american/windows way of spelling colour!

btw Liz if you read this, it is nearly one of the first things I do after re-installing windows, is changing these settings! basically lost without it now! as so used to having a yellowy/green sort of background now!!

Mike
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Glad it is of use! It makes so much more comfortable on the eyesight!
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...